I offer individual and group psychotherapy to help adults work through depression, relationship issues, women’s issues, sexuality, gender identity, loss/grief, negative feelings about oneself, life transitions, aging, and identity concerns.
I offer each of my patients the opportunity to share their story. Many find it easy to talk with me and share aspects of their lives they have never been comfortable discussing before.
With acceptance, honesty, and empathy, I help my patients explore their feelings, thoughts, and behaviors in order to gain insight and make desired changes. I also assist patients in understanding how their defenses, once adaptive to their situation, no longer serve them as adults. We can then work toward building a greater capacity for regulating painful moods, and adopting healthier coping skills.
Interpersonal psychotherapy groups are available to help members improve self-understanding and explore relationship issues, whether with partners, friends, family members, etc. Topics will include concerns associated with identity, sexuality, anxiety, trauma, depression, and other emotional issues. In addition to discussing member’s relationships outside of the group, we focus on the group’s own dynamics to foster an additional understanding of what each individual brings to relationships.
- Women’s Group: Starting in September, this group for women ages 30 and above, will be meeting on Tuesday nights from 5:30-7:00. The time will be flexible to meet participants’ needs. We will meet outside when the weather allows.
- Men’s Group: Currently forming, the group will be open to men over the age of 30. We will attempt to find a time to accommodate participants’ needs. We will meet outside when the weather allows.
Fees & Insurance Information
- Group sessions are 90 minutes. The weekly fee is $55.
- Individual sessions are 50 minutes. The fee is $150.
- Payment is due by check at the time of service.
- Credit Card payment through SQUARE is also accepted (with a $5 service fee).
I am an Out Of Network provider. If you would like to submit bills to your insurance company for potential reimbursement, I am happy to provide an invoice at the end of each month.
Consultation & Supervision
I offer supervision for therapists focusing on clinical skills and/or professional development.
I also provide consultation to mental health organizations, family and small businesses, and other groups, to help them better understand how problematic interpersonal dynamics and mental health issues impact their organizational functioning.
Additionally, I offer consultation and psychological services to attorneys regarding mental health issues affecting their clients’ legal cases.
Dr. Carrie Schaffer, PhD
875C Rio East Court
Charlottesville, VA 22901